Monday, October 5, 2015

Born to pace.

Atlanta Track Club pace team.
I love pacing.  I'm pretty sure I was born to pace because I am so good at it. FYI for those that don't know, a pacer volunteers to run a race and finish at specific time.

Alien 13.1 
Why do I love pacing? Glad you asked. I love helping people reach their race completion and time goal. I only pace the 2:45 or slower because:

1.  The fun is at the back of the race. We chat, dance, & of course run/walk.
2.  I need to be comfortable at the pace so I can talk to the people running with me.
3.  It is great seeing someone who never thought they would ever do a half marathon finish or someone finish faster than they have in previous races. 
Michelob 13.1
Yesterday, I paced the Michelob 13.1. I originally signed up to be Back of the Pack, but was asked if I could pace the 2:50 or 3:00 group & of course I said yes because I was born to pace. My group was the best. There were two 69 year-old best friends (Rick & Lew) that ran the entire race with me. They have been friends since they were 10. Rick could have easily run a faster pace, but he said he was loyal to his friends and yesterday, I was his friend so he was finishing with me. He didn't mention Lew, but I know he wouldn't leave him either.

....and I got a medal.
If I don't learn the name of people that run with or near me...there's a difference...they get a nickname. "FL" was actually a husband & wife couple who stayed with me despite not being used to running hills. There was "CamelBak" who stayed with me the entire race as well, but he was in a zone & didn't talk. There were "Fancy Pants", the lady who said "Darn it" every time she saw me, "Pink shirt guy" & "Shadow" (a name she gave herself...I actually learned her name) who stayed with me for most of the race, but we lost them on those ugly hills on the second half of the race.  

A few other runners joined me the near the finish. All were 1st timers. One woman didn't know what mile we were at & she only had a mile to go. At the finish, her husband thanked me because he said she was ready to quit until I encouraged her to run with us. The second was a young man who said he felt strong, but his feet were killing him. His face at the finish line was the best because he was super happy.

Pace was 3:00, Garmin time was 3:00, & official time was 2:59:52.  That's pretty darn good.
Finally, there was a 65 year-old man named Jeff. He walked the entire half in 2:58:50. I think he shed a little tear when he finished. He gave me and the 2:50 pacer big sweaty hugs which I gladly accepted. Plus note this is the only time sweaty hugs are acceptable. There are always hugs when I pace. 

Yep, I'm born for this.


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this! I tend to be a bit sentimental when I ran races and it's nice to know I'm not alone :-) you're doing a great thing motivating others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a natural . You've helped me through a couple races. One thing I liked about you as a pacer, you didnt leave the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Viviran. I don't leave my group, I don't bank time, & I don't put my sign down.

      Delete